Monday, July 29, 2013

What Do I Do With: Beans


Some things are easier or more basic then others. You can find recipes for the following anywhere.

  • chili
  • rice and beans or red beans and rice (I'm partial to coconut rice and red beans)
  • bean dip
  • enchiladas
  • burritos
  • three bean salads and soups

Beans can also be used in soups such as Chicken Tortilla SoupBlack Bean Soup, or Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup.

This recipe for Italian Pesto Pasta Salad uses two cans of cannellini beans.

This baked nacho dish uses beans instead of meat to add protein.

With some recipes like this Slow Cooker Lasagna, you can substitute beans for the meat to create a vegetarian dish. In my house, we think of beans as a meat substitute because my mother is vegetarian. They add protein to most meals. 

They're not a perfect substitute for meat, and in some cases they won't work (for instance, I wouldn't substitute beans for bacon in pumpkin soup). Experiment with dishes you would normally use meat in, and see how it works. Let me know how it turns out, I'm always looking for creative ways to use normal ingredients. 

What's your go to recipe for beans?

No comments:

Post a Comment