Thursday, April 4, 2013

Comfort in the little things

Everyone has heard of comfort food. It's just so basic, that you can't imagine not knowing about comfort food. Everyone has their own set of comfort foods. It's food that calms you down or provides a sort of emotional support. It's what you want when you've had a bad news or had a bad day or if you're just feeling low. When I was abroad I learned it meant food that I recognized and made me less homesick. When I'm home it's still the same food, but I've also added some things that help with what I've learned to call 'abroadsick'.

 For me its macaroni and cheese, grits, almost any form of cooked potatoes (especially mashed, fried, or in soup), grilled cheese sandwiches (slightly burned or blackened please), European chocolate, peanut butter M&Ms, Irish breakfast tea, Jersey pizza, spicy chicken patties, homemade bread and (a very recent addition) lemon meringue pie. I'm sure you have your own list if you stop to think about it.

Sometimes sitting in front of the TV with a cup of tea and a plate of pie just isn't enough to shake off a funk. Sometimes I need a little extra oomph. That's when I turn to comfort tv and movies. I've learned that this isn't something everybody has. Also just like food the list is mood dependent.

Here's a bit of my list from the top of my head:

  • Doctor Who
  • Warehouse 13
  • Sherlock
  • Die Hard
  • Battleship (a new addition)
  • Red
  • Down Periscope
  • Tombstone
  • Firefly & Serenity
  • Big Bang Theory
  • Leverage
  • Castle

Do you have a tv show or movie that you turn to for comfort?  What about your favorite comfort food? What's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment