Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Third Time's A Charm

As of right now, there are over 11,000 projects created from the Star Crossed Slouchy Beret by Natalie Larson. It's a nice, simple, charming slouchy hat pattern, and the thousands of them floating all over the world testify to that fact.  I personally have made three of them, one of which I frogged. 

First Attempt
The first time I knit up the pattern, I followed the directions pretty closely. I chose a 2x2 ribbing because it's easier on my hands, and I might have used a different M1, but other than that it turned out pretty well. Then I put it on, and I almost liked it. Maybe it was the fact that I knit it up in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes and it didn't have a lot of drape, or maybe it was the fact that I'd been knitting the thing in the dark for several days waiting for power to turn back on, but either way it wasn't what I was looking for. You can see how it's an almost uniform shape for the first few inches before it gets just a bit wider. It didn't sit right on my head. I can't describe it but it just looked wrong. So I put it aside for a little while before I gave up and frogged it. I still liked the hat, but it just wasn't working for me. 


Attempt Two
Around the beginning of December I pulled it back out again and decided to try again. This time I was going to keep the 2x2 ribbing, but I was going to start the increases right after the ribbing was done. I can easily tell the difference between these hats because it get wider immediately after the ribbing. Where the previous attempt started out narrow and maintained it's shape into the first set of cable repeats making it look like a tube with a rounded end, this new version of the same hat looks a bit more like a cupcake with lots of fluffy icing on it. Somewhere along the line though, I miscounted my stitches. I don't know if I added an extra one or was short a stitch. Or hell maybe I even K2tog somewhere by mistake. Either way, my cables didn't line up for my second attempt the way they did the first time. If you scroll back up, you can see that the cables lined up a certain way, meaning they worked like the pattern was supposed to. The second time, not so much. By then I was so done with this hat. Well, I was done with the cables really. I'm not a big fan of cables while knitting. They look gorgeous. They've got texture and depth and add a touch of classic elegance to most things, but knitting them drives me nuts.  

Third Time's a Charm
Still I like the pattern, despite how frustrating it was. In fact, I liked it enough to give it one more try but in Debbie Bliss Cashmeriono Aran. You know how they say third time's a charm? They're right. This time it worked. The hat had drape, and even if I miscounted again, I didn't care. This one was so much better. The only down side? I made it for my mother. I've got a bit of the yarn tucked away in a different color way, so maybe I'll give it another shot. Right now I'm looking for other slouchy hat patterns I like. I've got my eye on a few: 16 Sixteen Cable Hat, Bowler, Bousta Beret, and a few others.

Anybody have the same problem or problems I did making this hat? Any hat suggestions? 

If you'd like to talk with me directly about anything, you can send me a message here, or through email at teacupsandradios(at)gmail(dot)com .

No comments:

Post a Comment