Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fig Newtons of My Imagination

I spent today sitting in my room listening to gale force winds and lashing rain as my window rattled from time to time. The weather ruined my plans for today, but it's not the first time, and it won't be the last time. It doesn't really bother me much though. I've always loved a good storm. If you ask any of the people I worked with before I left, they'll tell you how much I hate umbrellas. I just don't understand them. Well, okay, I understand them, but I don't see the point of them. Sure, they keep you somewhat dry, and in the summer, they can be my best friend at the beach, but they limit visibility, and they limit the use of my hands. I don't like them. It's okay if that doesn't make sense.

So, instead of wandering through the West End looking for a charm for my bracelet, and finding the yarn store by the gardens like I wanted, I stayed in bed until the early afternoon, watched a bunch of episodes of one of my favorite TV shows, Warehouse 13 (so I'm a bit of a geek, I'm not completely ashamed of it), and just generally relaxed in my pjs in my flat. I realized today that while I'm not entirely sick of the rain here, I miss a good thunderstorm. It feels a bit like so much rain should be part of a thunderstorm. I can't actually remember the last time I heard thunder or saw lightening.

My mother is more freaked out about the weather here than I am. She's supposed to fly in early Saturday morning, and she's worried about a delayed or cancelled flight, but it's really not all that bad, I don't think. It no longer sounds like the wind has a mind of it's own and is howling mad. Anyways, mom gets here early on Saturday, and whatever happens after that is any one's guess, but while I have time and almost all of my sanity, I thought I'd update y'all.

Here's what I've learned while in Scotland:

  • As previously mentioned, the question is never 'Will it rain today?', but rather, 'Where will I be when it starts to rain today?'
  • Do not use pumpkin pie spice in place of just nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger if you're making a homemade face mask, unless you're going for the just-had-a-chemical-peel, red-as-a-lobster look. If you are, well, then more power to ya. If not...sour cream, honey, and oatmeal will save your face from looking like you tried burning your skin off.
  • The third time is not always the charm. Sometimes you have to do something four, five or six times before you get it right.
  • Superglue really can save your favorite shoes if you know what you're doing....but that doesn't mean they'll be waterproof again.
  • The pink raincoat that I love? It makes me noticeable...memorable...however you want to look at it, it makes it harder to blend into a crowd. 
  • I don't like sweet sherry. Stuff gives me nightmares. 
  • I like buying art by local artists, and talking with them a bit.
  • Bubble tea and/or live music can make even the worst day so much better. 
  • It might be childish, but I miss my dream-catcher and John and Jack. I don't know if it's a lack of their presence, or simply an uncomfortable bed, but I'm not sleeping well here.
  • I like pear cider! A lot. :P
  • Short hair isn't so bad all the time. It just takes a bit of adjustment.
  • J, you'll be happy to hear this: apparently with enough booze, I'll sing softly and dance along to a familiar song (something that's rarer here than at home) if I'm feelin' right. :/
  • Sometimes an nontraditional Thanksgiving with friends can mean more than a traditional Thanksgiving with family. Mostly because friends don't take it for granted.
  • I can move past my anger issues with doing laundry (don't ask).

And just because, here's a few things I already knew but relearned or was reminded of while here:
  • I like to knit. It might seem strange, but I'd forgotten how much I actually enjoy it. I'm almost done with the scarf that I started here. I might even have enough left to make a hat afterwords :)
  • I don't mind taking pictures from time to time, but I hate looking like a tourist...mostly because it draws attention to me. That said, there's two pictures of the snow from Monday (they're at the end).
  • Wandering around with nowhere in particular to be can be soothing on the nerves. It can also do wonders for my pinched nerve, but standing still for too long makes my back ache.
  • I spend a lot of time and effort blending into the background or not drawing attention to myself...and it's really really really unnerving when someone notices.
  • I still don't do well around a bunch of people I don't know all that well. Hell, sometimes I'm not all that great around people I do know...I think it has to do with the number of people, but I"m not really sure....
  • Buskers make me happy. 
  • I'd forgotten I like to draw occasionally. No, I'm not good at it, and it's more abstract in a 'wait...huh?' kind of way, but I enjoy it sometimes.
  • It's old news, but I love my Kindle. :)
  • I can't move past my anger issues at having no counter space in the kitchen and/or no clean bowls.
  • And the one I'm reminded of on an almost weekly basis: I love it when a non-plan comes together. :D
Well, it's now 2am, and I do have plans tomorrow to go look for that charm for my bracelet that keeps eluding me. I think I really might just have to pick something out at home that reminds me of here. Night. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment