Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rumor has it that...

It snowed in Jersey yesterday. No, really, snowed. In October...come on, sing it with me, "I'm dreaming of a white...Halloween?!" There's rumors that some have lost power. Lucky me, I'm here in Glasgow, where it just rains every other day or so. It appears I disappeared for a few weeks again, doesn't it...sorry? Let's be honest with each other though shall we, we all saw it coming. ;)

Things are better here. I'm not as homesick as I was last time. The open wound of missing friends has healed a bit to a dull ache I've learned to deal with. Classes have been class, and I've handed in papers only to be reminded that there's a new set of them coming my way. Yay! Shoot me now.

Let's talk about better things, shall we? This past week was reading week for me for most of my classes. That means no class, except on Thursday for me. It was kind of nice actually to be able to relax a bit and take a moment to breath before things get crazy again. Y'all will be happy to hear I did the tourist thing a bit this week, and there's pictures! No more threats about what you're going to do if I don't post pictures, okay? I have a bunch for you here. :)

Things have been quiet since the week before last, when everything was just madness of trying to get papers done and what not. The roomies and I have been getting along really well for the most part, and I'm loving the nights we get together and drink ourselves silly...I mean have a nice quiet civil drink...with lots of girlish giggles... So much better than last year's bunch. Our flat actually feels a bit like a home now.

Life is mostly class and home, but I have managed to do some shopping. Mostly cookbooks, y'all know how much I love to cook. Someone asked me if I was homesick recently. Yes, I am in some ways. I miss my friends, both from the states, and from Ireland, and I miss my family. Want to know what I really miss though?  Three things mainly: My cats, I miss the smelly one, the demanding one, and my little weeble-wobble. A fully stocked kitchen where I know where everything is, and have space to make things (I have the oddest urge to make real bagels this week). And last but not least, a bathtub, I'm sick of the tiny shower stall. I want a real sized bathtub. I want a nice hot bath with music playing softly in the background that I can sing along to while I fight and fail to stay awake.  Yup yup, that's my list. OH, and Jersey pizza...what I wouldn't have given for one of those two nights ago.

That's not to say that there aren't things here that I'd miss when I go home, because there most definitely are. I've gotten to love sitting in George Square just hanging out on one of the benches and reading. I actually like sitting outside and reading here, even if it is class reading. I've come to enjoy riding the subway here (third oldest in the world). There's this tiny little bubble tea shop in Savvoy Shopping Centre that helps me feel less homesick. I like to wander into the cookbook section at Waterstone's on Sauchiehall Street. I love to stand on Buchanan Street and listen to Clanadonia. It still amuses me that I can buy liquor in the supermarket. Turns out I like cider, who woulda known? I like wandering into the shops and finding little things that remind me of people. I'd miss my roommates, and some of the friends I'm making here.

There's a bunch of little things that when I get home I'll miss seeing, or doing that I won't even realize until I get home. For now, I'm just enjoying what I can and soaking up as much as possible while I'm here. I'm walking around a bunch, which is great for my back as long as I don't walk too slow or stay in one place for too long. I'm listening to Thunder 106 while I'm in my flat and my mp3 player when I'm not. I've learned that the question is not, "Is it going to rain today?", but rather "Where will I be when it rains?". That my dears, is harder to predict than if. It is going to rain, that's a given, when and where will I be when it does so is much more important.

Tomorrow is Halloween, I have thoughts about wandering down to the Necropolis after class tomorrow, but it will depend on how muddy/rainy it is when I get back. Thanksgiving is coming up, and I'm trying to see if I can go back to Dun Laoghaire for it, but we'll see. If not, then I'll spend it here with friends if I can, and call home on the day of. I'm waiting to see how things go, and I'll roll with it either way. Huh, just realized I register for the fall in a week...greeaaaaat....

Is there anybody out there? How are things at home? Don't tell me it's snowing because I already know that. OH, and how does everybody else feel about RU selling the name of the stadium? Is anybody else as appalled as me?! Till next time. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment